InfoQ recently posted the video of my presentation on Grails from QCon San Francisco. If 50 slides in 50 minutes sounds a tad formulaic and tired to you, then you’re in luck. Instead, you’ll see 50 slides in about 5 minutes, followed immediately by 50 minutes of no-nonsense live coding goodness.
In what could perhaps be described as a series of 12 back-to-back lightning talks, you can see what it takes to go from a blank slate to a deployable Grails app including…
- defining domain classes,
- setting up relationships,
- hooking up a database,
- establishing constraints and validation error messages,
- enjoying sexy dynamic finders,
- applying custom URL mappings,
- working with tag libraries,
- encapsulating business logic in services,
- integrating with existing Java code,
- sending e-mail,
- finding and installing plugins, and
- locking down the app with secure authentication and authorization
There’s some good Q & A in there as well. Unfortunately not all of the questions came through on the audio, but in most cases you can pick up the context from the reply.